Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

Quiet Book / Soft Activity Book for Kids

I love creating quiet books!!!  I think it comes from my original passion for scrapbooking as it has been the best way to combine sewing and scrapbooking ideas.  This fun book was created for a little girl and in a different style than I've done in the past.  I used to sew all the pages together in a quilted cover by this book is expandable with rings binding the pages so new pages can be added as the little girl grew up and wanted more challenging activities.
 
 
The cover was made of a fun cotton print that was reinforced with heavy duty iron on interfacing on the insides.  Then I sewed in a cute satin ribbon to make handles.
 
 
The first page has 9 flaps made of felt that can be lifted up to reveal some fun pictures.
 
 
As you can see, I have used some colorful novelty patterns that I cut into squares and using heat n bond light to tack down the fabric then I stitch over the edges to hold them down.
 
 
On the next pages I have an apple tree and a texture page.
 
 
The apples have Velcro on the back and can be "picked" and put in the basket at the base of the tree.
 
 
On the opposite page, I found nine different fabric types, all with different textures and colors!  Burlap, netting, corduroy, terry cloth, fake fur, satin, minky, fleece, and felt.
 
 
The next pages are super fun with a colorful felt caterpillar and a friendly spider in a bit of a shower.
 
 
The cute caterpillar are made of felt circle pieces with button holes that help little ones practice their fine motor skills with taking the circles on and off the buttons.
 
 
The colors can be mixed up on the colorful buttons.
 
 
This itsy bitsy spider has googly eyes and can climb up and down the water spout.
 
 
The rain cloud lifts up to reveal a beautiful sunshine sky.  The grass is soft and fluffy along with the frilly flower that can be "picked" by taking it off the button.
 
 
The next page features a lovely little girl with bows in her hair that can be untied and tied up again. 
 
And her long locks can be straightened out or braided up pretty-like.
 
 
Opposite the little girl was this cheeky lady bug that unzips its wings and the dots can be pulled off and stored inside.
 
 
The dots or other fun things can be stored inside the lady bug.
 
 
On the last page is the latticed pie that helps little ones play pretend but also practice their weaving skills.
 
 
The pie "crust" is made of felt and using a pinky shears you can create a fun zig zag affect on the edges.  I used a fun red swirly fabric underneath to make it look like a fruit pie.
 
 
Her you can see that I used loose binder rings that I sewed into the cover with small pieces of fabric braces to hold those rings in tight.  Each page had button holes sewn in them to fit in the rings.  The pages can be removed or new ones can be added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback! I appreciate anyone who helps me to improve my business.

Thanks,
Corrina